Here’s an über simple, spicy bean stew that is perfect for a quick lunch or weeknight meal. I served mine over a thick slice of toast and topped it with cilantro and a garlicky cashew cream.
Smoky Chickpea Stew with Spinach, Sausage & Cashew Cream
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 244
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 29g
Saturated Fat 6g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 7g
Monounsaturated Fat 13g
Total Carbohydrates 102g
Dietary Fiber 24g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for a few hours
- 1/2 cup water
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4+ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 15 ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 link spicy vegan sausage (such as Field Roast's Mexican Chipotle sausage), chopped
- 5 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 tsp. dry sherry, optional
- generous squirt of fresh lemon juice
- 4 slices thick, crusty bread - preferably garlic bread - toasted
- cilantro, for garnish
Make the cream
- Rinse and drain the cashews and put into a blender along with the other ingredients. Process until very smooth - give it a minute or two. Pour mixture into a bowl and set aside.
Make the stew
- In a medium-sized pot, saute the garlic and onion in a little bit of the vegetable broth until tender. Stir in the paprika and cook for about 1 minute. Add the 1/4 broth, white wine and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer and add the garbanzo beans. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- A few minutes before the stew is finished, toast the bread.
- Stir in the chorizo and spinach, cover and cook for a few minutes to allow the spinach to wilt. Remove from the heat and stir in the sherry and lemon juice.
- Divide the toast among four bowls and ladle with the stew. Garnish with chopped cilantro and big dollops of the cashew cream.
an unrefined vegan http://www.anunrefinedvegan.com/