How’s this for a coincidence? The last time I posted a waffle recipe was exactly one year ago today. (Which is too, too long a time by far!) I swear I did not plan it that way. There must be something about April 29 that makes me want to share waffles on the blog. But then, there’s something about Sunday that makes me want to eat waffles – because every single Sunday Kel and I eat them.
These oil-free, sugar-free beauties were inspired by the delicious, flavorful Finnish bread, but are a whole heck of a lot quicker and easier on the arms to make. They go mighty fine with my usual accompaniments: banana slices, cacao nibs, pecans, and of course, peanut butter. Don’t forget the cup of chai tea.
By the way, my beautiful Belgian-waffle-style waffle iron went kaput several weeks back. I mourned it briefly before picking up a cheap-o iron at Target which has turned out to be really quite okay. It doesn’t have the nice deep crevices of my old iron, but then, I don’t have to wrestle the waffle out of the iron anymore. And, best of all, it is truly non-stick (with a ceramic surface) so there is no need for even a droplet of oil.
Don’t forget to enter the NuNaturals/Jazzy Vegetarian/Todd’s Seeds/ Crave Eat Heal E-book giveaway! Four winners!
Let’s talk coffee (and cinnamon and cardamom):
- Reduce your risk of getting Parkinson’s, Type II diabetes, and dementia; or having a stroke.
- Studies show that regular coffee drinkers are less likely to suffer from liver cancer or liver disease.
- Consume 1/2 teaspoon a day and reduce your bad cholesterol level.
- May help regulate blood sugar.
- It’s a natural food preservative, inhibiting bacterial growth.
- Just smelling it makes us happier!
- Eat some cardamom to help alleviate nausea, bloating, gas, and heartburn.
- May inhibit cancer cell growth.
- Alleviates pain and swelling – especially in the mouth and throat.
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup fresh-brewed coffee
- 1 tsp. vanilla-flavored stevia liquid
- zest of 1/2 an orange
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp. Dandy Blend, or other herbal coffee substitute powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- pinch fine sea salt
- Get your waffle iron preheating and place your breakfast plates in a 200-degree oven. Gotta keep those waffles warm while you eat them!
- Whisk together the almond milk, coffee, stevia, and orange zest in a large measuring cup. In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, Dandy Blend, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, and sea salt.
- Stir the almond milk mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Let sit for about 15 minutes.
- If necessary, lightly spritz the waffle iron with oil. Spoon batter onto the hot iron, close it up and cook the waffle for about 7 minutes. Remove the waffle and place it directly on the oven rack. Make the remaining waffles.
- Serve the waffles with your favorite toppings.
- Yield depends on the size of the waffle iron used.