Zsu has been a regular participant in our weekly Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck, and I finally got the time to spend with her recently-published cookbook, Everyday Vegan Eats. One of the things I love about Zsu’s recipes and this cookbook is that they remind me of the meals my mom made – simple, flavorful, satisfying, and just homey. Though EVE is a great addition to any vegan’s cookbook collection, it would be especially ideal for those who are just beginning to explore plant-based eating and worrying that they are going to miss out on their favorite meals like, meatloaf, pizza, mac-and-cheese, lasagna, gyros, omelets, and so on. Zsu has all of those classics covered and lots more.
Enter to win a copy or if you can’t wait, order one right here! Giveaway ends October 27 and is open only to those in the U.S.
Thank you, Zsu and Vegan Heritage Press for providing me with a review copy and for the opportunity to share this cookbook with one of my readers.
SAVORY BROTH MIX:
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES:
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup natural sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons plain unsweetened vegan milk
- 1/2 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Stir well and set aside. Melt the butter in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter, apple- sauce, sugars, vanilla, and milk. Whisk vigorously for 20 seconds.
- Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture until just combined. (Do not overmix.) Fold in the chocolate chips and the optional nuts.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of dough 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 6 minutes, rotate the baking sheets, and continue to bake for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the cookies are browning around the edges. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
COMFORTING NOODLE SOUP:
ENTER THE GIVEAWAY!