Kel didn’t plant cantaloupe this year. And yet we have a veritable army of volunteer plants and a steady stream of melons. Along with its real estate-hogging pals watermelon, zucchini, acorn squash, and butternut squash – also volunteers – it’s taking over the garden with umbrella-sized leaves and grasping tendrils. (One of the unsung benefits of composting – “free” vegetables the next season!) Cantaloupe is the quintessential summer fruit with its sweet juice and delicate flavor. These refreshing mini-smoothies come together in just a couple of minutes, keeping you out of the kitchen and in the garden – wrestling with the volunteers.
- 2 cups cantaloupe, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 of a banana
- 1/4 cup raw cashew pieces, soaked for a few hours, rinsed and drain
- 1 Tbsp. coconut butter
- 1/4 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish, optional
- Put all of the ingredients into a high-speed or regular blender and process until silky smooth. Garnish with mint leaves. Enjoy right away or let chill for a few hours to firm up slightly.