I resisted making this one, but finally caved when I started imagining how a spicy peanut butter sauce and a sweet berry sauce would taste on oven-roasted potatoes. It started sounding pretty good. The original is at Number 28 on 29 Ways to Honor the Glory of Peanut Butter and Jelly with an offering from Potato Champion Food Truck in Oregon. I’ve never had real Canadian-style Poutine, nor have I eaten at Potato Champion, but I wasn’t going to let that stop me.
PEANUT BUTTER & JELLY POUTINE
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into thin fries
- 1 large potato, cut into thin fries
- generous splash Bragg Liquid Aminos
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix to coat the fries with the seasonings.
- Bake fries for 30-35 minutes, turning halfway through, until fries are tender and browned. Place fries on a serving plate and drizzle liberally with peanut sauce and blackberry sauce. Serve with extra sauce on the side.
SWEET & SOUR BLACKBERRY SAUCE
Makes ~1 cup
- 1/4 cup fruit-sweetened blackberry jam
- 2 tbsp. lime juice + zest of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp. white wine, optional
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
- pinch salt
- dash smoked paprika
- pinch of chipotle chile powder
- 1/4 water
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot powder
- In a small saucepan, combine jam through chile powder. Bring to a simmer and stir occasionally, breaking down the blackberries with a spoon. Let the mixture simmer for about 15 minutes, then carefully strain through a sieve and discard the solids. Return the sauce to the pan. Whisk together the water and arrowroot powder and pour into the sauce.
- Turn the heat to very low and stir constantly until the mixture begins to thicken. Do not let it boil.
- Remove from the heat and use immediately, or let cool before storing in the refrigerator. The sauce will thicken as it cools. This will make more than you’ll need for the 2 servings of fries.
SPICY, SMOKY PEANUT BUTTER SAUCE
Makes ~1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsalted, roasted peanuts (if using salted nuts, taste before adding salt)
- 2 tbsp. natural peanut butter
- 1 tsp. chipotle in adobo sauce (more if you like it hot)
- 6 oz. unsweetened plain yogurt (I used coconut yogurt)
- 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp. Liquid Smoke
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- pinch salt
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and process until very smooth. Use immediately or store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. This recipes makes more than you’ll need for the 2 servings of fries.