My kitchen mojo has been a little spotty lately so my weekly menus have been stacked with meals I can prepare without needing much time or brain power. Right now I need to be able to sleepwalk through dinner prep.
But even a detailed shopping list isn’t a guarantee that dinner will turn out as planned. About an hour before this salad was due to hit the table, I realized that I’d somehow made it home from the grocery store without buying all of the necessary ingredients – despite the fact that they had been written (somewhat illegibly, it’s true) right there on the list. So, using the base ingredients that I had on hand, I completely switched around the flavors of the original recipe and traveled from Southeast Asia to South of the Border.
- 2, 14 ounce cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium green, red, yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup cooked and cooled brown rice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped, optional
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup red wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp. chipotle in adobo sauce
- dash Chipotle Tabasco
- salt & pepper to taste
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a big bowl and whisk to combine. Add all of the remaining ingredients, except for the avocado, and stir gently to combine. Let sit for a while so that the flavors can get acquainted.
- To serve, top with chopped avocado.