As I write this, I can hear far off rumbles of thunder and a steady and determined rain hitting the metal roof of the beach house we rented along the Gulf Coast of Port Aransas, Texas. Mist and fog nearly obscures the view of the waves just beyond the grassy dunes, but we can just see foamy white caps climbing the shore over and over and over again. Being snug and warm and dry inside while admiring temperamental Mother Nature is the definition of comfort. There’s no place I’d rather be.
Certain foods, of course, also provide feelings of comfort – see what I did there? – and on a comfort scale of 1 to 10, this apple butter recipe lands at about 12.5. I use my favorite apple variety (Honeycrisp) and enhance their natural sweetness with dates. This 7-ingredient recipe is quick and easy to make in your pressure cooker. Divide it up to consume some right away and tuck the other portion in the freezer for later.
Pressure Cooker Sugar-free Apple Butter
The ultimate sweet comfort food is so easy to make in the pressure cooker. It’s naturally sweetened by the apples and beautiful Medjool dates.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 30
- 3 pounds sweet apples, such as Honeycrisp, peeled & cored
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup chopped Medjool dates
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- Cut the apples into chunks and place them along with all of the remaining ingredients in a pressure cooker and stir. Set to cook for 10 minutes, then let the pressure come down naturally.
- Carefully remove the lid and stir the contents. Let mixture cool (warm is fine, but not hot) and then transfer to the bowl of a food processor. Depending on the size of your processor, you may need to work in batches. Process until very smooth.
- Transfer apple butter to air-tight containers and store in the refrigerator, or for longer storage, freeze in small quantities.
- I used predominately Honeycrisp apples, but included one Pink Lady and one Gala.
- I weighed the apples AFTER I peeled and cored them.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 155
- Sugar: 33
- Sodium: 3
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 41
- Protein: 1
- Cholesterol: 0