Gosh, it sure seems like a very long time ago that I began working with my friends, Elaine and Libby, on a plant-based meats cookbook! Today I’m happy to share that the cookbook is not only finished, it is available on Amazon in glorious, full-color paperback! I’m thrilled with how the book turned out, so to celebrate, I’ve got the very delicious Tofu Scrambled Egg recipe (pictured here with the equally yummy Breakfast Sausage Patties) below for your eating pleasure. This recipe is so easy and satisfying. It exemplifies our goal of keeping the recipes simple both in prep and ingredients.
To further celebrate, two lucky winners will receive a copy of It’s Got To Taste Good! plus a paperback copy of my most recent subscription freebie (in PDF form), Unrefined Snacking: 10 Dairy-free, Oil-free, Gluten-free, Nut-free Vegan Treats. To be eligible to win, all you have to do is enter via Rafflecopter below. The giveaway will run through midnight November 5 and is limited to entrants in the U.S. and Canada. A look inside IT’S GOT TO TASTE GOOD
AVAILABLE IN PAPERBACK! Purchase HERE for only $10.99.
Tofu Scrambled Egg
This recipe more than any other showcases the magic of tofu, turmeric, and a little patience. In just a few minutes, scrambled “eggs” will appear before your eyes!
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 70
- Yield: 1 1x
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed well
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 ½ tablespoons non-dairy butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened non-dairy milk
- Press the tofu for an hour or more. For this recipe, it is important that the tofu be is as dense as possible so that it holds together during cooking. After pressing, slice into 1/8-inch wide strips. The slices don’t have to be perfect because they will break up during cooking.
- Combine the seasonings in a small bowl. In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the seasonings and the milk. Stir for about 1 minute to make a sauce.
- Add the tofu. Turn the heat up to medium-high. With a metal spatula, alternate gently separating the tofu slices, distributing the sauce, and then letting the slices sit to cook. Continue cooking for 8–10 minutes, depending on how moist or dry you want the scramble.
- Don’t start with a skillet that is too hot. This will cause the butter and seasonings to clump and cook before the tofu is added.
- The dry ingredients for this recipe can be made ahead of time in a large batch. For each block of tofu you cook, measure out 3 ¼ teaspoons of the blend and whisk into the milk and vegan butter.
- Try substituting “black salt” for regular salt for an egg-y aroma and taste.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 283
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 326
- Fat: 21
- Saturated Fat: 7
- Unsaturated Fat: 12
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Protein: 22
- Cholesterol: 23
SEITAN CUTLETS PORTOBELLO BURGER TVP GROUND BEEF LENTIL MEATLOAF