I’m one of those people who stocks up on canned pumpkin and enjoys eating it (and butternut squash and sweet potatoes…) all year-round, but I appreciate that for some folks, there’s only one season in which to consume this low calorie food: Fall.
If you are one of those people, you’re missing out on about 9 months of nutritional benefits. Pumpkin is rich in antioxidants (think: cancer-fighters) like vitamin C and E and is off-the-charts in vitamin A. It’s also an excellent source of minerals like copper, phosphorus, calcium, and potassium. Find maca powder here; and vanilla-flavored liquid stevia here.
This recipe first appeared on Yummie Nation.
Creamy Pumpkin-Coconut Pie. Sugar- and Oil-free.
The classic seasonal favorite with a twist: pumpkin coconut pie with a hint of ginger, but no oil, and no refined sugar.
- Prep Time: 15
- Total Time: 180
- 1 9 1/2-inch whole wheat or gluten-free baked pie shell (or your favorite raw crust)
- 1/4 cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 Tbsp. chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 cup raw cashew pieces, soaked for a few hours, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. coconut butter
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 Tbsp. maca powder
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. vanilla-flavored stevia liquid
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
- pinch allspice
- Whipped coconut cream, for topping, optional
- In a small bowl combine the toasted coconut and the crystallized ginger. Set aside.
- Put the cashews, pumpkin puree, coconut butter, water, non-dairy milk, maca powder, ginger, stevia, and spices in a high-speed blender and process until very smooth.
- Scrape about half of the cashew-pumpkin mixture into the pie crust and smooth. Sprinkle the toasted coconut/ginger over top and carefully add the remaining cashew-pumpkin mixture over top. Spread until even and smooth. Chill for several hours or until firm. Cut into slices and serve with whipped coconut cream.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 598
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 15
- Fat: 20
- Saturated Fat: 11
- Unsaturated Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 91
- Protein: 14
- Cholesterol: 1