Somewhere and at some time I vowed never to include a tofu salad sandwich recipe on my blog. I lied. Actually, it’s more accurate to say that at the time that I said that, I couldn’t foresee wanting to include such a recipe. Tofu salad. Blah. After all, one of my favorite all-time sandwiches was egg salad. Specifically my mom’s egg salad which had the exact right ration of creaminess to tanginess (we were a Hellman’s household as opposed to a Miracle Whip household). How could I expect to replicate that with tofu? Times have changed. After conquering scrambled tofu, it seemed right to explore tofu salad sandwiches. Of course, mom’s recipe was my inspiration.
I highly recommend using kala namak in this recipe. Just a little of this Indian black salt (though it is pink…) gives this sandwich filling an unmistakable “eggy” taste.
Tofu Salad Sandwiches
My mom’s classic egg salad sandwich reimagined with plant-based ingredients. Tangy, crunchy and totally satisfying.
- Prep Time: 8
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 23 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1 14-ounce package firm or extra-firm tofu, pressed and drained (overnight is ideal)
- 1/2 cup Vegenaise or other vegan mayo (or try unsweetened plain vegan yogurt)
- 1/4 tsp. dried dill
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. red onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. sweet pickle relish
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup green olives, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. pepperoncini, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. kala namak or fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices whole grain bread or 4 Whole Wheat Pita Breads
- lettuce, tomato, sprouts, avocado, for topping
- Slice the tofu block in half. For one half cut into 1/4″ slices lengthwise, then into 1/4″ pieces width-wise – so you have small cubes. Put the cubes in a large mixing bowl. Now, crumble the other half of the tofu block into the bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and stir gently to combine.
- When ready to serve, slice the pitas in half and lay in with the tofu salad and toppings. Serve alongside a big scoop of Roasted Bell Pepper & Olive Salad (recipe below).
- The kala namak gives this salad a slightly eggy flavor, but if you don’t have some on hand, just use regular salt.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 553
- Sugar: 9
- Sodium: 941
- Fat: 37
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Unsaturated Fat: 30
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 42
- Protein: 18
- Cholesterol: 12
Roasted Red Bell Pepper & Olive Salad
A zesty roasted vegetable “salad” that cozies up beautifully with my tofu salad sandwiches. Or use it as a sandwich filling itself!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1-2 Tbsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- 1-2 tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 425-degrees F. In a medium-sized baking dish, combine the vegetable broth, pepper and Liquid Aminos. Add the bell peppers, onion and garlic and stir. Bake in the oven, stirring frequently, until peppers and onions are tender, 15-20 minutes. Add more vegetable broth and Liquid Aminos as needed – you want this to be a little bit juicy.
- Remove pan from the oven and stir in the olives, parsley and red wine vinegar. I like to serve this at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 49
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 120
- Fat: 1
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 9
- Protein: 1
- Cholesterol: 0