First things first: a big thanks to Your Daily Vegan for publishing my article, Getting It Right and Wrong: A Mainstream Newspaper Tackles Veganism, yesterday. It’s a real thrill to see one’s effort on the “big” (computer) screen.
Now, onto cookies. I’ve had a bag for hemp seeds in the cupboard for a while. I kinda forgot about them, truth be told, until my memory was jogged by a blog post I read recently. Not having an idea in mind as to what to do with them, I turned the package over to see if there were suggestions, and there it was – a cookie recipe. It sounded pretty good, but also kind of boring. So I started with the base, veganized it, reduced the fat and sugar content and added cacao nibs and dried cherries.
This is a delicious, soft, cake-like cookie. I love the texture of the hemp seeds and the sweet tang of the cherries and the crunch of the cacao nibs. You’ll need flaxseeds and tahini to make these. These cookies freeze beautifully.
Superfood Cookies with Hemp Seeds, Oats, Cacao Nib & Dried Cherries
Power-packed, nutrient dense treats, these cookies also boast hemp seeds, dried cherries and cacao nibs. Healthy indulgence!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 25
- Yield: 14 1x
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal + 3 tbsp. water (whisk together & set aside for a few minutes to thicken)
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cook (not instant) oats
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla powder
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs + more for sprinkling on top
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the tahini, water, coconut sugar, applesauce and flaxseed mixture.
- Stir in the whole wheat pastry flour, oats, hemp seeds, baking soda and salt. Fold in the cacao nibs and dried cherries.
- Using a wet spoon scoop up the dough into walnut-sized balls and place on the baking sheets. Gently press down to flatten and spread the cookies. Sprinkle cacao nibs on top of cookies.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, rotating pans halfway through. Let cookies rest on pans for a few minutes before transferring to cooling racks.