Chocolate is perhaps the most versatile and amiable ingredient out there. It gets along beautifully with so many other flavors (including savory – witness rich Mexican mole sauces). I pair it here with bright, zesty orange for a twist on the chocolate (chocolate) chip cookie. These are nearly guilt-free because they don’t contain a ton of sugar and don’t use oil or vegan butter. Brew up a pot of tea or coffee while these bake and then take a few moments for yourself to indulge in one or two.
A couple of comments on the ingredients…If you haven’t tried Lily’s Sweets vegan, stevia-sweetened chocolate chips, you’re missing out. They’re absolutely delicious and lower in calories than regular chips. (They also make four varieties of vegan chocolate bars.) They can sometimes be found at Whole Foods, but I buy them via Amazon in bulk because I use them so often. I also call for orange oil (or extract) in this recipe. It adds that extra oomph of orange flavor to these cookies, so be sure to get some before you make these. Finally, I use brown rice flour and my go-to brand is Anthony’s.
Need some other guilt-free cookie recipes?
- Sunbutter Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- GF Simplest Maple Oat Cookies
- Banana Bread Cookies
- Apple Butter Cookies
- Superfood Cookies
Triple Orange Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
Triple the orange and double the chocolate in these guilt-free cookies.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 14
- Total Time: 22
- Yield: 18
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup tahini
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 tsp. orange oil or extract
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds mixed with 3 Tbsp. water
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use Lily’s Sweets brand; sweetened with stevia)
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the orange juice, coconut sugar and tahini until smooth. Add the orange zest, orange oil and chia seed mixture.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flours, cacao powder, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer running on low, slowly add the flour mixture. This is a very thick batter, but mix until it comes together. Add the chocolate chips and pulse a few times to fully incorporate them.
- Drop walnut-sized pieces of dough and place on the cookie sheet. When all the dough has been used, press down the cookies using the back of a wet spoon. These cookies do not spread (but they do puff) so it’s important that they are flattened. Bake for 12-14 minutes, rotating pans halfway through to ensure even baking. Let cookies cool on pans for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks. Store in an air-tight container.