This is one of those recipes that I’ve been meaning to make and share for months now. Months of hot, sultry, uncomfortable weather when an icy-cold beverage offers some relief. But…you know how it is. One thing and another and then another and before you know it the leaves on the bois d’arcs have begun to turn. So I’m cramming this in at almost the last possible moment. Because it’s so freaking delicious; because it’s crazy-easy; and because it’s a first for me here on An Unrefined Vegan. This beverage contains alcohol! My friend Becky is going to be SO very proud of me!
This recipe was inspired by one I saw in edibleTulsa (edibleYOURCITYNAMEHERE magazines are available all over the country. They’re free and the photography always inspires me.) for a caramelized banana shake with rum that contained dairy ice cream and refined white sugar. My vegan version gets its bulk solely from bananas whose sweet, rich flavor has been lovingly brought out by a light sprinkle of pure (Ohio) maple sugar and a quick “sunbath” under the broiler. Additional sugar just isn’t needed. Add some non-dairy milk, a splash of rum, some vanilla extract and…boy howdy! You’re going to love this one! Adults only, please!
- 4 large bananas, split in half lengthwise
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple sugar
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk (I like almond-coconut)
- 1 ounce golden rum
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the broiler. Place banana halves on a cookie sheet that's been lined with aluminum foil. Sprinkle banana halves with maple sugar.
- Broil bananas until the sugar caramelizes and is bubbling. Watch carefully! This should take about 5 minutes. Let the banana halves cool a bit and then freeze them.
- In a blender, add the banana halves, non-dairy milk, rum, and vanilla. Process until smooth and serve immediately.