My friend Paul sifts through the raw, rocky ore of the Internet like Yukon Cornelius searched for silver. You might remember Paul from my Hibiscus-Cherry Cooler post – he’s the one who sent me 3 lbs. of hibiscus tea because he’d read that it had cancer-fighting properties. And what Paul has unearthed in his meticulous research is that the consumption of animal products is related to the plethora of diseases plaguing too many Americans. Imagine that!
Taking this information to heart, Paul has greatly reduced his intake of animal products and increased the amount of fresh fruits and vegetables. He has embraced kale and placed beans high on a plant-based pedestal. He doesn’t follow recipes, he just chops and combines and cooks. His concoctions are nutritional powerhouses with an emphasis on cancer-fighting superfoods.
Don’t let the crazy ingredient list throw you off. It works! This veggie slaw is loaded with crunch, flavor, and really healthy ingredients.
- Prep Time: 20
- Total Time: 20
- 1/4 of a small head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Vidalia onion, chopped (I soak mine in cold water for about 15 minutes)
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- 1 small grapefruit, peeled (squeeze the juice from the peel into the bowl), chopped into small pieces
- zest of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 lime
- splash of white wine or sherry vinegar
- pinch ground black pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir well to combine.
- Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator if you like a slaw with a little less crunch.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 88
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 40
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 15
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 0