This recipe is an adaptation of one from the November 2012 issue of Cooking Light. The vegan gruyere cheez is a very slight variation of a recipe I snagged from The Culinary Confessions of Betty Rocker. I’d never seen oatmeal used in a vegan cheez recipe and therefore had to try it immediately. I didn’t change it enough to warrant including the recipe here, however, and I encourage you to check out Betty’s site. Feel free to use your favorite vegan cheez as a substitute for the gruyere (cheddar would be quite nice) – or leave it out entirely. Oh, and I used Wayfare Foods’ Pig Out Whole Grain Bacony Bits.
Savory Pumpkin Pie with Shiitake Mushroom Streusel
Dessert and dinner switcharoo – have pie for dinner with this savory pumpkin pie that boasts a rich shiitake mushroom “streusel” topping.
- Yield: 1 1x
- 1 recipe for single whole wheat pie crust
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup silken tofu
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- ground black pepper, to taste
- ~2/3 cup vegan gruyere cheese, shredded or chopped, divided
Shiitake Mushroom Streusel
- 5 ounce shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine or water
- 1/4 cup “bacon” bits, optional
- 1/2 cup whole wheat panko or bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. Liquid Smoke or use a dash of smoked paprika
- ground black pepper, to taste
Make the filling
- Preheat the oven to 425-degrees F. Line a 9-inch pie pan with the whole wheat crust and set aside.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine the pumpkin puree and the silken tofu. I processed the tofu in a blender prior to adding it to the pumpkin puree. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add a splash of vegetable broth, Bragg Liquid Aminos or water to the pan. Saute the celery and garlic until soft and then stir in the poultry seasoning, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes and remove pan from the heat. Stir the celery mixture along with 1/3 cup of the vegan gruyere into the pumpkin mixture. Set aside.
Make the mushroom streusel
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add a splash of vegetable broth or water. Add the sliced mushrooms and saute until tender. Add the wine and cook until has just about evaporated. Now stir in the “bacon” bits, panko, maple syrup and Liquid Smoke or paprika and ground pepper. Stir and let the mixture dry out a bit. The topping will brown up and crisp in the oven, so no need to let it completely dry out in the pan. Remove from heat, stir in the remaining 1/3 cup vegan gruyere and set aside.
Assemble the pie
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the prepared pie shell and smooth out the top. Crumble the mushroom topping over the filling and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is baked through and the mushroom topping is crisp and browned. Let the pie rest for about 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Also tasty served at room temperature
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 240
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 395
- Fat: 11
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Unsaturated Fat: 8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 27
- Protein: 8
- Cholesterol: 0