From peanut butter yesterday to almond butter today. This is one of those classic recipes where you can mix it up – throw in whatever goodies you have on hand in the refrigerator – and have yourself a feast. I find pasta dishes to be especially satisfying and buckwheat noodles are one of my favorite kinds of pasta. The almond sauce is creamy and tangy and mixes perfectly with the unique, nutty flavor of the buckwheat. Make the sauce and prep the veggies ahead of time so all you have to is boil the noodles and ladle into bowls. Substitute peanut butter if you don’t have almond butter.
I love this recipe so much I included it in my 140+ recipe cookbook, Crave Eat Heal: Plant-based Whole Food Recipes to Satisfy Every Appetite, which you can purchase via Amazon, or right here on this site (I’ll even sign it!).
Buckwheat Noodles with Spicy Almond Sauce
There’s something about this sauce that makes you want to slurp up every last bite of this veggie-ful meal.
- 4 Tbsp. almond butter
- 1 Tbsp. white miso
- 1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. garlic chile sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp. tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. agave nectar or other sweetener
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, microplaned or finely minced
- 3 cloves garlic
- pinch of ground black pepper
- A big handful of cooked buckwheat noodles
- 2 cups asparagus, cut into 1” pieces, lightly steamed or raw
- 2 cups snow peas, lightly steamed or raw
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded and chopped
- fresh cilantro
- fresh mint
- chopped, roasted peanuts
- tomato chunks
- Place all of the sauce ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. If desired, thin out with more vegetable broth or water.
- Combine sauce with noodles and veggies and top with cilantro, mint, roasted peanuts and tomato chunks, if desired.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 134
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 500
- Fat: 6
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 15
- Protein: 6
- Cholesterol: 0