There are certain recipes that just demand to be made. The combination of flavors, maybe a new technique or an unfamiliar ingredient or a different take on an old favorite. All I know is, when a recipe speaks to me, I make it. The original for these cookies was just such a recipe. It didn’t just speak to me, it yelled. Based on Averil’s Mocha-Chocolate-Chunk-Oatmeal Cookies with Candied Ginger (I mean, the name alone!), I veganized and modified it to suit my tastes and what I had on hand. If you haven’t met Averil yet, check out her blog, The Cook, The Baker and The Clay Boy Maker and get acquainted. She shares some very inspired and original recipes. (Update: looks like Averil last posted in 2013.)
Some ingredients you will need for this recipe:
Vegan Oil-free Chocolate-Ginger-Orange Cookies
These healthy cookies sing with spicy, sweet, rich flavor!
- Yield: 9 1x
- 1 1/4 cups quick oats (not instant)
- 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup ground cacao
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- zest of 1/2 an orange
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup date puree
- 1/4 cup strong coffee
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal + 3 Tbsp. water (whisk together, then let sit for a few minutes to thicken)
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped + more for topping cookies
- 1 Tbsp. cacao nibs, optional, for topping cookies
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F and line two baking pans with parchment.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, ground cacao, baking soda, salt, orange zest, cinnamon, allspice and ground ginger. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the water, date puree, tahini, coffee, coconut sugar and flaxseed meal mixture. Set aside.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in the crystallized ginger and stir until the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Using a wet spoon drop batter by large spoonfuls onto the pans. Press cookies down using the back of the spoon or your fingers. Sprinkle each cookie with a combination of the extra crystallized ginger and the cacao nibs. Bake cookies for 12-15 minutes, turning pans halfway through for even baking.
- Let cookies rest on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to racks to cool completely.
- Makes 9 large cookies or about 15 small cookies.