Chocolate cake reminds me of my mother, who in my humble opinion, baked the best chocolate cake on earth. It was coated in a creamy, buttery frosting that wasn’t too awfully sweet. This cake is a single-layer, dim tribute to her shining, multi-tiered one – but it is rich, moist, and bursting with warm, complex flavors from the orange and spices. The sweet potato replaces butter/oil and the frosting couldn’t be easier: melted chocolate chips sprinkled with chopped nuts (toasted coconut would be nice, too).
Chocolate Sweet Potato Spice Cake
Soft and moist without oil or refined sugar, this chocolatey cake gets flavor complexity from orange, cinnamon, cardamom, and allspice.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 50
- Total Time: 80
- Yield: 1
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 Tbsp. Cafix or Dandy Blend (herbal coffee substitute)
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cardamom
- pinch allspice
- 2 tsp. powdered stevia
- zest of one orange
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup roasted sweet potato
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup xylitol (or equivalent amount of sugar)
- 1 cup walnuts, divided
- 1 1/4 cups stevia-sweetened semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F and lightly spray a 10-inch springform pan with oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, herbal coffee substitute, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, stevia and orange zest. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the non-dairy milk, orange juice, sweet potato, vanilla extract, applesauce, and xylitol. Process until smooth. Pour mixture into dry ingredients and stir until well-combined. Stir in 1/2 cup of the walnuts and 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Put the pan on a cooling rack and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips over the top of the hot cake. Let sit for a few minutes to melt and then spread the chocolate evenly over the cake. Sprinkle on the walnuts and gently press them into the melted chocolate. After about 15 minutes, remove the outer ring of the pan and let the cake cool completely before slicing.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 522
- Sugar: 33
- Sodium: 366
- Fat: 18
- Saturated Fat: 7
- Unsaturated Fat: 10
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 86
- Protein: 9
- Cholesterol: 0