We’re more than halfway through this thing, kids! Are you still with me?
The original for this PB & J take on a the classic blondie appeared at Number 12 on 29 Ways to Honor the Glory of Peanut Butter & Jelly with a mouthwatering recipe from Averie Cooks. I did the vegan thing on it and used dates instead of sugar.
Vegan Peanut Butter and Jelly Blondie Bars
Classic blondies kicked up a notch with creamy peanut butter and sweet blackberry jam. Sugar-free and vegan as all get out.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 40
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 coconut flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup creamy or chunky natural peanut butter
- 4 oz. unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup nut milk
- 1 cup dates, soaked, drained, and chopped
- 1/2 cup peanuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup seedless blackberry (or other) fruit-sweetened jam
- Lightly spray a 9″x9″ pan, line with parchment and lightly spray again. Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a blender, combine the coconut oil, 1/4 cup peanut butter, applesauce, nut milk, and dates. Process until very smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender to make sure the ingredients are all nicely incorporated.
- Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to combine – adding more nut milk or water if the batter seems to thick. Stir in the chopped peanuts. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread so that it reaches the sides and is even. Drop peanut butter and jelly by the tablespoonful onto the top of the batter and then run a knife through, creating a marbled effect.
- Bake the blondies for about 25 minutes – don’t over bake. Let them cool in the pan and then remove and cut into pieces.
- Serving Size: 16
- Calories: 208
- Sugar: 10
- Sodium: 110
- Fat: 11
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 24
- Protein: 6
- Cholesterol: 0