There are a few things in life you can count on: the sun rising in the east each morning; happy and excited greetings from your dog (and a bored yawn from your cat) when you get home from work; a bite of chocolate curing the blues, and any cookbook by Kathy Hester being damn good.
If you haven’t already heard about Kathy’s latest book, OATrageous Oatmeals: Delicious & Surprising Plant-based Dishes from This Humble, Heart-Healthy Grain, and browsed through the recipes (accompanied by stunning photos from Kate Lewis), then you might be thinking what I did when I began recipe-testing months back. A whole cookbook about – – oats?! Stir in some soy milk, sprinkle on the cinnamon, pop it in the microwave and we’re good to go for breakfast! What else is there? How about Oats-bury Steaks, Vegan Cream Liqueur, Stir-fried Veggie Oats, and oh, my recipe Chai-spiced Oatmeal Tart with Warm Coconut-Vanilla Sauce that Kathy graciously included in the book, just to name a very few. Kathy also includes oatmeal-based treats for your pets, a soothing Lavender Oat Bath Soak, and an incredibly fragrant Oatmeal Cookie Scrub. All of the oat bases covered – even those you had no idea existed.
I’m proud to have one copy of this classic cookbook to give away to one of my U.S. readers. Enter the giveaway below, but before you do, take a look at some of the recipes I’ve made from OATrageous Oatmeals and whip up a batch of comforting Chickpea Veggie Soup (recipe below). If you can’t wait a week to see if you’ve won and you want this book STAT, order a copy right here.
CHOCOLATE MINT CREAMER
CHICKPEA VEGGIE SOUP
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil (*use broth or water instead)
- 1/4 cup (50 g) minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 11/2 cups (270 g) diced sweet potato
- 1 cup (110 g) chopped carrots
- 1 can (15 oz [425 g]) chickpeas
- 6 cups (1420 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (40 g) steel-cut oats
- 4 tablespoons (24 g) nutritional yeast, divided
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 11/2 cups (270 g) chopped kale or other green like chard or collards
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the olive oil to a soup pot and heat over medium heat. Once hot, add onions and saute for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Then add the garlic and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, carrots, chickpeas and water, then turn the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Once the soup is boiling, turn to low and add the oats, 2 tablespoons (30 g) of the nutritional yeast, marjoram, smoked paprika, basil, thyme and ground rosemary. Cover and simmer until the oats are thoroughly cooked, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add in the kale and the other 2 tablespoons (30 g) of nutritional yeast. Cook about 5 to 10 minutes until the kale is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- gluten-free, soy-free, oil-free option*
- Per serving: Calories 177.6, protein 8.1 g, total fat 5.3 g, carbohydrates 24.2 g, sodium 41.9 mg, fiber 6.1 g
- Recipe reprinted with permission from Kathy Hester and Page Street Publishing Company.
CANDY BAR OVERNIGHT REFRIGERATOR OATMEAL
COCONUT CREAM OVERNIGHT REFRIGERATOR OATMEAL
CHOCOLATE MINT CREAMER (redux)
VEGGIE OAT TACO MINCE
BANANA OATMEAL COOKIE PANCAKES
ENTER THE GIVEAWAY!