Almond Butter Choco-Berry Crunch Cereal
Were you coo-coo for Cocoa Puff’s cereal when you were a kid? I certainly was, but my mom didn’t often buy it because she thought that Shredded Wheat or Life cereals were healthier. (Her efforts to curb my sweet tooth were to no avail, though!) Now that I’m an adult, I know how to satisfy those sweet cravings with healthier, if not completely virtuous, options.
- Prep Time: :05
- Cook Time: :50
- Total Time: -51675715.2 minute
- Yield: 5 cups
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- ¼ cup dried cherries, dried blueberries or goji berries
- ¼ cup cacao nibs
- 2 cups toasted rice cereal (such as Chex)
- 1 cup brown rice cereal
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup natural (unsweetened, no added oil) almond butter
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp. cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 250-degrees F and set aside a large baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cherries, blueberries or goji berries, the cereals and oats. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, whisk together the almond butter, applesauce, maple syrup, cacao/cocoa powder and cinnamon. Heat just until melted and thoroughly combined.
- Pour this mixture into the cereal/oats mixture and stir to coat everything. The mixture will be clumpy and stiff. Scrape out onto a baking sheet and bake for 45-50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so.
- Let the cereal cool completely before storing in an air-tight container for up to 10 days. To serve, add non-dairy milk and top with fresh berries.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 86
Keywords: breakfast, cereal, gluten-free, oil-free, easy, quick, chocolate, almond butter, cookbook