I’m kind of a broken record around here with my peanut butter fixation – but I couldn’t let a big day like this go by without posting. I was looking for a quick and easy fix for a recent craving that involved something less mindless than sticking a spoon deep into a jar of peanut butter – so I made up a batch of flourless peanut butter cookies with just a little bit of chocolate for balance. Happy Peanut Butter Cookie Day!
As you are reading this, I am winging my way back – bleary-eyed, jet-lagged, and stove-up worse than a yogi in a plexiglass box – to the United States from a 10-day trip in Europe with my Pops. A little father/daughter time – and I have no doubt it was a fabulous trip!
Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies Day Cookies
No flour, no sugar, no oil, but mega peanut flavor with only 6 ingredients. The chocolate chunks take these simple vegan cookies over-the-top.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 12
- Total Time: 42
- Yield: 15 1x
- 1 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup whole flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup chopped Medjool dates, soaked 30 minutes and drained
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. liquid stevia
- 15 vegan semi-sweet chocolate chunks (or more if they’re small pieces)
- Preheat the oven the 350-degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone sheets.
- Toast the flaxseeds over medium-low heat, making sure to stir often so that they don’t burn. Let cool, the grind in a coffee grinder. Don’t skip this step and try to process them with the other ingredients. They won’t break down into a fine powder.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the dates and pulse a few times to break down. Add the remaining ingredients – except for the chocolate chunks – and process until very smooth. The mixture will form a ball.
- Scoop up walnut-sized pieces of dough and roll into balls. Lay them on the cookie sheets and press them down slightly. Using the tines of a fork, make criss-cross indents on the tops of the cookies. Bake for 12-15 minutes, switching the pans halfway through for even baking.
- As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, place the chocolate chunks on the tops of the cookies and gently press. The chocolate will melt. If they don’t melt as much as you’d like, put the pans back in the oven for about 30 seconds.
- Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the pans, then transfer to wire racks. Allow them to cool completely before eating. These cookies are especially delicate right out of the oven. They will firm up slightly, but they are a bit crumbly.
- If you don’t like peanut butter or are allergic, give these a try with your favorite nut butter.
- Although there is no added oil in these cookies, they do contain a fair amount of fat. Go easy on these bad boys.
- Serving Size: 7
- Calories: 400
- Sugar: 23
- Sodium: 11
- Fat: 29
- Saturated Fat: 8
- Unsaturated Fat: 19
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 32
- Protein: 12
- Cholesterol: 0