This is the genius of Laura Theodore’s recipes: healthy whole food ingredients, minimal oils and sweeteners, ease of preparation, and – – great-tasting food! It’s why I love her cookbooks and her television series, Jazzy Vegetarian, on Create TV.
I’m very pleased to have a 3-DVD set of The Best of Jazzy Vegetarian to give away to one of my readers – signed, no less! The set features nine episodes that showcase Laura’s favorite and most popular recipes. The recipes – 33 in total – run the full gamut from Almond Parmesan to Chilled Avocado Soup, Spaghetti and Wheatballs to Pumpkin Pie with Date-Nut Crust. Plus, you get to enjoy Laura’s bright, warm personality!
The Festive Kale Salad recipe that I’m honored to share below is included in the DVD set. The simple, healthful ingredients for this salad come together to create a dish that is tart, tangy, sweet, and full of flavor. This is a great way to eat kale and Laura’s salad has quickly become a staple in my household.
If you reside in the U.S., enter the giveaway below for a chance to win a signed copy of The Best of Jazzy Vegetarian 3-disc DVD collection!
Festive Kale Salad
This slightly sweet and crunchy combination makes a satisfying luncheon salad or festive first course for a holiday meal. The lemon tenderizes the kale, transforming it into a delightful alternative to your everyday green salad. Pair this appealing dish with crusty bread to enhance the delicate flavors. – Laura
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30
- 3 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 6-8 cups very thinly sliced, lightly packed curly kale, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or dried cherries
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Sea salt, to taste (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste (optional)
- To make the dressing, put the lemon juice and maple syrup in a small bowl and briskly whisk until smooth.
- Put the kale, cranberries (or cherries), and walnuts in a large bowl. Pour about three-quarters of the dressing over the salad and toss gently until the kale, cranberries (or cherries), and walnuts are evenly coated. Taste and add the remaining dressing, if desired.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes before serving. Just before serving, top with a few grinds of sea salt and pepper, if desired.
- Recipe shared with permission from Laura Theodore and Jazzy Vegetarian.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 188
- Sugar: 16
- Sodium: 93
- Fat: 7
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 33
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 0