When switching over to the new site, I couldn’t help but browse through some of my very early posts. Yikes. Some of the recipes really needed tweaking and new photography. So just for fun, I’ve picked five breakfast-related recipes to update.
First up is a revamp of Slow Cooker Rice Pudding that was published a couple of years ago, very shortly after I started my blog. It got picked up by an online publication and drew a decent amount of traffic. The photo is atrocious, and I felt as if I could make the recipe just a little more special.
Why do I wait until the end of the cooking to stir in the spices? My experience with spices – especially cinnamon – in slow cookers is that it tends to gunk up along the edges and form a crust on top of what’s cooking. That annoys me. So I stir the spices in towards the end of the cooking time. You will definitely need to add additional coconut milk to serve. This stuff snarfs up the liquid like a whole grain sponge.
Gluten-free Slow-Cooker Multigrain Pudding
Morning comfort food that cooks itself while you sleep. Vegan, gluten-free, and sugar-free.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 480
- Total Time: 500
- 2/3 cup brown rice, soaked for 15-30 minutes, rinsed, and drained
- 1/3 cup arborio rice
- 1/3 cup steel cut oats
- 1/3 cup wild rice blend (I use Lundberg Wild Blend)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 cups coconut milk (I use the kind in the aseptic box)
- 1 tsp. powdered stevia, or your favorite sweetener, to taste
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp. allspice
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins, optional
- 1 large banana, sliced, optional
- toasted nuts, optional
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk, optional
- Lightly coat a slow cooker with cooking oil. Combine all of the ingredients except for the vanilla, spices, apple, raisins, banana, and nuts.
- Turn the slow cooker onto Low and cook for 6-8 hours.
- During the last half hour of cooking, stir in the vanilla extract, spices, apple, raisins, and banana slices.
- Just before serving, stir in the coconut milk, if using.
- Divide the grain pudding among four bowls and top with toasted nuts.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 934
- Sugar: 21
- Sodium: 43
- Fat: 60
- Saturated Fat: 49
- Unsaturated Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 95
- Protein: 15
- Cholesterol: 0