I’ve unashamedly pilfered a recipe for Creamy Cocoa Oatmeal from an issue of Runner’s World magazine and I’m also going to nick what they had to say about the recipe:
Stick-to-your-ribs steel-cut oats are packed with betaglucan. According to a 2011 Nutrition Journal study, this soluble fiber can help slash LDL (or so-called “bad” cholesterol) levels. Research shows cocoa anti-oxidants help relax blood vessels, ease blood pressure, and improve circulation. Ground flaxseed is rich in omega-3s, which reduce inflammation in arteries.
Of course I made some modifications: I soaked the oats overnight to reduce the cooking time; subbed almond milk for dairy milk; added herbal coffee substitute (Dandy Blend) for rich flavor; used applesauce instead of a mashed banana and ignored the addition of nutmeg (which I’ve never liked). I call it mine.
Vegan Mocha Steel-Cut Oats
The best way to begin your day: fiber rich and flavorful steel-cut oats jazzed up with cocoa and herbal coffee substitute.
- 1 1/2 cups steel-cut oats
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup nut milk
- 4 ounces unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 1 Tbsp. Dandy Blend, optional (or use some fresh-brewed coffee for some of the water or milk)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup (or your favorite sweetener, to taste)
- dried tart cherries
- sliced bananas
- chopped walnuts
- cacao nibs, optional
- Place the steel cut oats in a medium-sized bowl and cover with water. Let sit overnight.
- In the morning, drain the oats then place in a medium-sized saucepan and add 2 cups water and 1 cup nut milk. Bring to a boil then simmer gently for 10-15 minutes. Stir in the cacao powder, Dandy Blend, cinnamon, applesauce and maple syrup. Continue to cook until the oats are soft and creamy, adding more liquid as necessary.
- To serve, top with cherries, bananas, walnuts and cacao nibs.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 491
- Sugar: 10
- Sodium: 12
- Fat: 22
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Unsaturated Fat: 17
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 63
- Protein: 17
- Cholesterol: 0